Wednesday, September 10, 2008

THRUSH

Mary:
Help! I think I have thrush - what can I do ... I'm confused by all the remedies out there!

Kenyatta:
The most common medication for this is called Nystatin and is actually VERY similar to what your dr. gave you. I too was concerned about the chemical content of the cream, but the pharmacist and both my ped and OB told me it was safe to use.

I tried the Genetian Violet too (in addition to the Nystatin) and had to have my pharmacist order it... it is OTC (over the counter) here in the U.S. but is not something they usually carry in stock.

There are two things you can do now. The first will help to avoid aggravating your thrush (yeast infection) is to make sure and NOT lubrucate your nipples with your breastmilk... the yeast will thrive and grow on the sugar in your milk. You may just want to use a washcloth to pat them dry after Elizabeth nurses.

The second thing you can do is to eat yogurt (if neither of you has any milk allergies) or purchase some Acidophilus from your health food store.... Acidophilus is a wonderful natural yeast killer!

I noticed many women can not find Gentian Violet in their areas. My advice would be, if you order online, to speak with your doctor AND pharmacist before applying treatment.

No comments: